||GB 3075 MWO|
||Papers of Michael Woods|
|Creator Name 1:
||Michael Woods, born 18 September 1931 in Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey enjoyed playing tennis and long distance running at school.
Whilst studying at Battersea Polytechnic College he joined a pot-holing group, and led a Speleological Survey Expedition on behalf of the college in 1959. The expedition had been commissioned by the Portuguese Government in order to trace underground water courses. The bus the expedition travelled and lived on during this time was named Lillian!
One of Michael's first outings with his wife-to-be, Alison Robin Burnett, was a weekend practice trip to Gaping Gill. They married on 2nd April 1960.
Michael continued pot holing in the Mendips, Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Wales for a further seven years before embarking on serious fell walking and climbing. On some occasions Michael and Alison would involve the local Youth Groups which they ran. The trips to Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons prompted Michael to take the Mountain Leadership course at Plas Y Brenin, Wales between 1968 and 1972.
Michael Woods died 3 July 2006 in Baildon, West Yorkshire.
||Donated by Anthony Woods|
|Scope and Content:
||Mountain Leadership Training Board Log Book (1968-1976); five loose photographs and one postcard|
||Original order maintained|
||This collection is open for consultation. Readers are advised to contact the Mountain Heritage Trust in advance of their visit in order to make an appointment.|
||Description compiled by Maxine Willett, Archivist|
||Mountain Leader Training Board
Chris Bonington Picture Library
Cornwall Record Office
Derbyshire Record Office
Dundee University Rucksack Club
Kendal Library and Local Studies Library
Mary Evans Picture Library
National Library of Scotland
Newcastle upon Tyne University: The Robinson Library
North West Sound Archive
Science Museum Library
Sheffield Arts, Social Science and Sports Library
St Andrews University Library
University of Aberdeen
University of East Anglia Archives Department
University of Wales
Wiener Library Institute of Contemporary History